Ninth and a Half Street
Nebraska City started out as not one but three cities. Three townships were incorporated by settlers: Nebraska City and Kearney City were incorporated in 1855, and South Nebraska City was incorporated in 1856. Each city plated out it own lots and streets. In 1857 all three cities merged to form the Nebraska City we know today. Ninth and a Half Street is along the north-south boundary between the Old Nebraska City and South Nebraska City. Once the property had been plaited and sold it was impractical to redraw the property lines and relocate the streets. At that time the streets running east to west did not have the numbered and avenues and corsos we use today. Instead they were named streets. For many years the South Nebraska City streets keep there original names. Based on these maps the change of street names happened between 1885 and 1920.
This leads to another mystery of Nebraska city.
When and why were the streets all renamed?